Carolina leads the Tax Department at Arias since 2001. Carolina has more than fifteen years of experience advising on complex tax matters. One of her many strengths is successfully assisting foreign clients in establishing effective tax structures that minimize risk and meet Corporate Tax compliance requirements for their operations in Costa Rica. This has differentiated Arias from other local firms that provide more aggressive tax advice. She also assists multinational clients headquartered in Costa Rica to coordinate their tax efforts across Central America and the Caribbean. Her regional leadership has also differentiated Arias from local firms which focus on in-country tax matters.
Carolina has a strong track record in local and regional tax advice for both local and international companies, tax planning, due diligence projects, tax compliance services and transfer pricing services, providing clients accurate assistance on local tax obligations.
She is very active in the firm, introducing new products providing clients with integral advise and support, and integrating tax services with other practice areas including customs, corporate services and finance. In 2016, Carolina elaborated the Costa Rican Chapter on Transfer Pricing Regulations for the IBFD, a canter of expertise that offers information and education on international taxation.
- LL.M. in International Taxation from New York University, in New York. Fulbright Scholar.
- Juris Doctor -equivalent law degree- from Law School, Universidad of Costa Rica.
- She is authorized as a practicing Attorney and Notary Public in Costa Rica.
- Shortlisted as Gender Diversity Lawyer of the Year - Central America by Chambers Diversity & Inclusion.
- In 2017 and 2014, Carolina was awarded as "Best Tax Lawyer in Latin America" by Euromoney at the Women in Business Law Awards.
- She is ranked in Chambers Global and Chambers Latin American guides for her tax practice.
- She is LACCA APPROVED for her tax practice.
- Listed as "Recommended layer" by The Legal 500