Luis Diego Castro is a partner at the firm, practicing in the areas of Intellectual Property, Technology, and Corporate Law.
Mr. Castro is currently regarded as one of the most experienced attorneys on Patent Law in Costa Rica and Central America. He has been a frequent invited lecturer and speaker on intellectual property topics at universities and trade associations in Costa Rica and abroad. Has spoken about biotech patents and patent eligibility in Central America at several AIPLA events and webinars. Has written about patents in Costa Rica for several publishing companies, including the Chambers and Partners. Mr. Castro was head legal counsel for the plaintiff in the two landmark patent cases before the Costa Rican courts. He filed and prosecuted the first plant variety to be registered in Costa Rica and has obtained patent protection for multiple pharma and agrochemical biotech inventions filed on behalf of multinational companies.
He has been a consultant for Nathan Associates on the project for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) “Support for Trade Capacity Building in Central America – E-Commerce”.
Mr. Castro constantly advises local and foreign technology-based companies investing in Costa Rica on setting up their operation; negotiating joint technology development projects, licensing, know-how and trade secrets.
Founded and directed for 25 years the law firm Castro y Pal Abogados, which merged with Arias in 2019.
His continuing legal education includes the Program for Instruction for Lawyers at Harvard Law School (1999).
- Law Degree from the University of Costa Rica (UCR).
- Public Notary.
- Costa Rican Bar Association.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI).
- Innovation Committee at the Costa Rican Chamber of Industries (CICR).
- International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI).
- ItechLaw – International Technology Law.
- APPICR – Costa Rican Intellectual Property Professionals.
- Costa Rican Chamber of Information and Communication Technologies (CAMTIC).
- Co-authored the Costa Rican Chapter of “Trademarks - 2018 Chambers Global Practice Guides”, a publication by Chambers and Partners.
- Co-authored the Costa Rican Chapter of “Patent Litigation - 2018 Chambers Global Practice Guides”, a publication by Chambers and Partners.
- Co-authored the Costa Rican Chapter of Patents, the book of the collection Getting the Deal Through, a 2017 publication by Law Business Research Ltd.
- Biotech and Pharma Patents in Costa Rica – Biotech Committee at the American Intellectual Property Law Association - 2013.